A Comprehensive Guide to Our New York Moving and Eviction Services
As eviction movers, NY landlords, property managers, commercial property owners, and renters rely on us to help ensure that the eviction process goes as smoothly as possible for all parties. We also help facilitate standard moves, with full service packages that take the time and the stress out of relocating in and around the city.
Here’s what to know about our services, including the many benefits of working with experienced and fast eviction movers.
What is a Full Service Moving Company?
Bennett Movers is a full service moving company, which means that we’re available to assist in all aspects of a move. This includes:
- Packing supplies and materials – From boxes and packing paper to tape and packing peanuts, we can supply all packing materials so that our clients don’t have to figure out what they need or make a trip to the store.
- Furniture disassembly and reassembly – Our team is a pro at furniture disassembly and assembly, and can also safely wrap up all component parts for safe transport.
- Efficient packing services – Packing is often one of the most time consuming parts of a move—if not the most time consuming. Our movers are available to pack all of our clients’ belongings and can get the job done fast.
- Transportation and unpacking – We offer efficient and reliable transportation on moving day, plus unpacking services to help our clients settle into their new homes right away.
- Packing material disposal – Don’t get left with mountains of boxes. We’ll take care of the disposal of all packing materials, including ensuring that we recycle as much as we can.
What are the New York Rent Laws?
If you’re going to be renting in New York, it’s important to be aware of the various rental laws that dictate tenant rights and what to expect, including those that apply before you even move into your unit.
Here are some of the basic New York rent laws to be aware of as you navigate the local rental market:
- Lease application fees – Landlords may not charge more than $20 for a lease application fee, even if the application requires a background check.
- Security deposits – Landlords are allowed to ask tenants for a security deposit, but these deposits may not exceed more than the cost of one month’s rent.
- Blacklisting – Recent changes in New York rental laws have made it so that landlords are no longer able to turn down an applicant based on any previous landlord-tenant disputes they may have had, or because they are deemed “potentially troublesome.”
- Rent control – Rent-stabilization was originally planned to expire in June, 2019, however new updates to New York’s rental laws allow rent controlled apartments to continue on as they are. They also dictate that the stabilized rent cannot be voided by a unit’s rent level or by a tenant’s income level.
Make sure that you’re aware of these and other relevant rental laws in New York, regardless of whether it’s your first apartment or your fifteenth.
What is the Eviction Process in New York?
Part of our job as an eviction moving company is to help ensure that landlords and tenants are well apprised of eviction regulations, as well as the NYC eviction process timeline.
While the pandemic did put a freeze on evictions, eviction data from December 2020 showed that 14,500 families in the city were dealing with pending eviction warrants and at risk of losing their homes when protections expire. This means that despite the halt on evictions during the COVID-19 crisis, the time is fast approaching when many thousands of renters may need to vacate their units—and it’s crucial that they know what to anticipate from the eviction process.
New York’s eviction timeline starts with tenants receiving written notice that their tenancy will be terminated. In order for this notice to be legal, landlords must provide notice at the end of a lease term, or for one of three specific reasons:
- Non-payment of rent
- Illegal or unlawful activity in the unit
- Violation of the lease agreement
If the eviction request is due to rent non-payment, the tenant will have 14 days to pay money owed before the eviction notice is filed in court. If the request is due to a lease violation, they will have 10 days to correct it before a court filing is warranted.
Barring a remedy to the issue, tenants will have 30 days to vacate the property. If they believe they are being wrongfully evicted however, they may choose to fight the lease termination in court.
What Eviction Services Do We Offer?
Eviction isn’t easy on anyone. But as eviction movers, Bronx landlords—as well as landlords all over the city—can use our services to minimize the work involved and get their units ready for new incoming tenants.
Our eviction services include low-cost moving packages that also cover packing supplies and 30 days of storage, which in addition to helping landlords clear out units also help tenants by providing a short-term storage solution that they can use while figuring out their new housing plan.
What Are the Necessary Eviction Documents?
Wondering how to evict a tenant in NYC with no lease? What about the documents that you need in order to proceed with the eviction process? As eviction movers, we provide eviction documents as well as moving services so that each stage of the process moves forward at an even pace.
There are three primary documents that we provide to facilitate the eviction process:
Proof of Payment – This document verifies that the current payment covers 30 days of storage, and is signed by both the landlord and the tenant, as well as the person responsible for eviction payment (such as a realtor), if not the landlord.
New Insurance – This document provides general liability insurance for the tenant’s belongings during the move.
Certification – This document certifies our hiring as eviction movers in concurrence with the execution of a Warrant of Eviction.
Download the files for free here for a Nassau County eviction.
What Are Public Assistance Movers and How Can We Help?
We’re proud to serve among the New York moving companies that accept public assistance. This means that we provide moving services at no cost for our customers who qualify for HRA moving assistance.
With public assistance moving services, we assist clients who cannot afford moving and/or storage costs due to financial or personal hardship and who qualify for free moving services through state programs. This includes free storage for homeless NYC residents with all of the security and accessibility that’s needed to keep their belongings protected.
We understand that emergencies and unexpected events happen. To help ease the stress, Bennett Movers provides drivers, movers, and secure storage facilities as needed for individuals on public assistance, including emergency services for those who are facing an imminent eviction due to a court order or an NYPD sheriff’s order to vacate. Among the individuals that we are able to help with these services include:
- Low and no-income individuals and families
- Victims of interpersonal abuse and violence
- Individuals facing eviction, including those who have received a landlord’s or sheriff’s orders to vacate, as well as those who have received a court order to vacate
- Shelter residents and other individuals experiencing homelessness
- Individuals living in unsanitary conditions and/or condemned housing
- Emergency evacuees from fires, floods, etc.
- Individuals facing foreclosure
- Individuals with extreme health or medical circumstances, including mental or physical disabilities
If you are in need of public assistance moving services, please contact us today to find out how we might be able to help.
At Bennett Movers, we offer more than 25 years of experience in local and specialty moving services in and around New York City. We’re the top choice for eviction help in New York, and are available to assist with all aspects of the eviction process, from documentation and cleanouts to 30 days of free post-eviction storage.
Whether you’re looking for Westchester eviction movers or need help in any other of our service areas, you’ll find quality assistance plus a trusted partner in ensuring that every step of your move goes off without a hitch. We specialize in working with:
- Commercial property owners
- Real estate and bank-owned properties
- Property management companies
We also work directly with tenants, including those in need of HRA/public moving assistance.
There’s a reason that we’re known as one of the best eviction movers in New York. Regardless of if you own an apartment complex or building, a commercial property, or a single-family home, if you believe it’s time to begin the eviction process then we’re here to help facilitate the process, with many years of expertise to ensure that it happens smoothly.
Learn more about us, and get in touch for a free estimate and to learn more about our existing moving and eviction service packages, or if you have any questions for us. Our team is standing by and ready to do whatever we can, and no job is too big or too small for us to handle.